/* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Away From Home

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Thanksgiving recap

Well, Thanksgiving ended up successfully, for the second year in a row.

Wasn't always smooth sailing, though. I put my 12-pound turkey in the fridge on Tuesday, so it could thaw before the feast on Friday. So at 6:30am Friday, I pull it out of the fridge, expecting to just toss it in the oven and be off to the mall for Consumerism Day.

Ha ha! Think again. Turns out that 2.5 days in the fridge left the turkey just about as unfrozen as the North Pole. During the Ice Age.

I couldn't even get my hand inside the cavity.

So, in my best problem-solving spirit, I dunked it in a sink full of cold water and went shopping.

Black Friday was disappointing this year. Nothing worth buying, so Joe and I came back at 8:30 sans goodies.

But what about the turkey, you ask? It was marginally less frozen. Marginally. (Not margarinally, you weirdos.) But because it was almost 9 am already, I didn't have a whole lot of time left to mess with it.

So, throwing caution to the wind, I put it in the oven, turned the oven on High (the better to defrost it, right?), and then sat back and watched The Ruining of Thanksgiving.

Just kidding.

I put it in the oven on only 300 for an hour and a half, before raising it to 325. For three more hours. Turned out good and juicy though!

And it's making some very excellent turkey sandwiches.

1 Comments:

  • Ah, but such a feast it was! Absolutely yummy! Besides the turkey, we had corn (also made by Scott), candied yams, buns with cinnamon-sugar topping, green bean casserole (made by moi), and potatoes (made by Joe's friend Joy). Yummy yum! Silly goose, forgetting to tell them what else we had! And the company was most excellent as well. ^.^

    By Blogger Mela, at 11/27/2005 09:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home