/* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Away From Home

Thursday, August 11, 2005

What in the world is an informational interview?

And the search for next summer's job begins....

The process starts with Fall Interview Program (FIP), where a whole list of firms come interview on campus. I think the list is around 220 firms long, but you can only "bid" (i.e. apply) to 35 of them. That was all due last week.

In addition to that (since only 10-20% of the class actually gets a job through FIP), I'm also applying separately. My boss at work was kind enough to set me up with an "informational interview" with a named partner at a medium-sized firm that I'm interested in.

[named partner, n.: A person with their name in the firm's title; i.e. David Boies at Boies and Schiller (not a firm I'm interested in)]

But what in the world is an "informational interview"? I have no idea how to approach this. It's clearly intended to be different than a job interview, but at the same time, my job search is the sole reason for the interview. Hmm.

Anyone have any insight?

4 Comments:

  • Back from Holland/ India: I
    I spent 10 days in Holland; four in and around Amsterdam and six at Utrecht attending a conference on Soft Matter.
    Looking for the latest blazin hip hop site or hip hop rap vs site? Look no further we in the building.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/11/2005 11:03:00 AM  

  • That is quite possibly the most absurd comment spam I've ever seen. Congratulations.

    By Blogger Scott, at 8/11/2005 08:04:00 PM  

  • That was a weird comment. However...back on topic...

    I believe an informational interview is just that: an interview to gather information about you, and also an opportunity for you to find out a little more about the firm. It differs from a job interview because you are not being interviewed for a job...if I remember correctly...basically, they're interviewing you to determine your interest and eligibility for when you do actually apply. Does that make sense?

    By Blogger Mela, at 8/14/2005 11:05:00 PM  

  • It does, yes. Hopefully I can parlay it into a real interview / offer. Hopefully.

    By Blogger Scott, at 8/14/2005 11:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home