/* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Away From Home

Monday, August 29, 2005

A treatise on my 12-hour day

I didn't blog this weekend because I was sad about leaving my summer job, and because I didn't feel good. So there.

My day started with an interview. Number 7. With another Midwestern firm. They're starting to run together at this point.

Got finished with that and walked 7 blocks over to begin orientation at my fall externship with a Major Government Department.

MGD.

Mmmm... perhaps I need a new acronym. How about just Government Agency, GA.

Anyway, I was there in the conference room, when a friend of mine from school walked in. Turns out he's also starting an externship there, so we did orientation together. It was nice, since I hadn't seen him much all summer. We watched these really awful movies about "Don't harass people!" "Don't tell ethnic jokes!" "Don't let strangers into the building!"

Well color me enlightened.

Fortunately it didn't take long, and I was able to put in a few hours at the office. Well, I was there for a few hours, but only ended up doing about 45 minutes of actual work, due to meeting people, getting a tour, etc etc.

At one point, my phone vibrated. A message! A voicemail! Could it be a firm, with a callback offer?!? Oh please oh please oh PLEASE??

No. It was another friend of mine, saying "Hey, hope you're getting some callbacks today... oh by the way, I got an instant callback today, where the guy offered me a callback before I even left the interview."

That's right. Not only was I disappointed that it wasn't a firm, but it was about someone else getting his fourth callback. I'm happy for him and all -- but it didn't do wonders for my mood.

Then 5:00 came. Work's over! Time to go home, right? Wrong! Mondays and Tuesdays I get the overwhelming joy of having an evening class, from 6:00 to 8:00.

It was sooo booooring. Even more so than expected. I'll spare you the details.

I came home and found a letter. From Interview 1. In a thin white envelope. I didn't want to open it, but of course I did anyway. As expected, it's a rejection.

The score: 0 callbacks, 1 rejection.

At least my housemate made curry tonight, so there was food waiting for me upstairs. The very long day ends on a high note.

1 Comments:

  • That sucks, Scott. ... I still think you should make 'rejection letter wallpaper' for the bathrooms.

    By Blogger Mela, at 8/29/2005 10:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home