/* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Away From Home

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Tiki party!

I got to meet the new roommate today. He's moving in at the start of next month, but he dropped some of his stuff off today. That's fine with us; it doesn't take up much space. He seemed really cool, I think we'll all get along fine.

Unfortunately I didn't get to help them much, as I had more pressing matters to attend to...

For example, a tiki party.

Apparently one of the attorneys I work with has a big tiki party every year. It's kind of a big deal, but it's all the way out on the coast.

You may be thinking "But you don't live anywhere near the coast." If you are, you're right. And if you weren't thinking that, well, try and keep up.

I caught a ride out there with another attorney, who lives in Virginia. 50 minutes later, we arrived. (By the way, did anyone know that southern Maryland grows corn? I sure didn't. Driving between corn fields made me a little nostalgic for home. But I digress.)

The house was on a circle at the end of a long road. On one side of the circle is the Chesapeake Bay, and on the other side is a small jetty of water, putting the neighborhood on a little peninsula. Their house was on the jetty side, and sat on a lot roughly an acre in size.

We went around back, and what do you know -- on the waterfront is a tiki bar. Yes, a tiki bar. Like you'd expect to find in [insert random Caribbean country here]. Hence the tiki party (it all makes sense now!).

It was really nice out there. It was hot, in the 90s, but a breeze was blowing in off the water so it was comfortable outside. They had drinks and food, and nearly everyone I work with showed up, along with dozens of people I don't know. Like I said, it's apparently a big deal.

The sun went down, the tiki torches got lit, and as it was getting dark I realized -- there aren't any bugs here! It was a little bit strange (albeit in a good way) to be sitting next to a large body of water at dusk and not be eaten alive by mosquitoes. Anybody know why this area is so bugless?

Then we came back into the city, where it is still oppressively humid. So it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home