/* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Away From Home

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Interviews 2, 3, and 4

Today's schedule:

Work
3 interviews
More work
Home! == Prepare for tomorrow's interviews

How fun, right? Let's get started:

Today is the biggest interview day for me. Three in one day, arranged somewhat in a group so that I wouldn't have to miss too much work. I figured that was wise. All of today's interviews were at the same hotel as Monday's.

The first one went surprisingly well. I say "surprisingly" because the more I think about it, the more I think Monday's interview didn't go very well at all. Color me shocked if I get a callback from them.

Today's first (call them EH), on the other hand, would not surprise me at all. I hate to say that I expect a callback, but I wouldn't be surprised. EH is a medium-sized Midwestern firm on paper, but with a nationwide practice and client base. How is that possible? Because "you definitely rack up the frequent flyer miles working here." I felt really good about the firm after the interview, and left the room really wanting to work there. It seemed that they liked me as well. The interviewers even brought up a discussion of how their callback process works and when it takes place. Surely that's a good sign, eh?

The second interview was more of the traditional "interview." Let's call this firm ES. It started with "So tell me about yourself." I hate this question because, come on, you already have my resume and cover letter. Anything that's relevant is going to be included in there -- and since anything I answer to that question is going to be something that I feel is relevant, well, you're not going to learn anything from it.

That said, I felt like I got along well with the interviewer. Which doesn't say much -- everybody gets along with their interviewers. There's no other option. This interview, like Monday's, could go either way. I like the firm, its size, and its location, and I would love to work there. However, a callback is probably not forthcoming -- though I would accept if offered.

The third interview went, in my opinion, fantastically. (I really really hope the interviewers felt the same way!) This firm, SP, is another Midwestern firm. When I mentioned being interested in communications law, one interviewer said "Oh! Well, one of our best clients is [a major telecom company]. One of the problems with hiring new telecom attorneys is that you need to apprentice them for a while, to teach them about it; but you could just hit the ground running."

Music to my ears. It was all I could do to not break out in song and dance.

The main complaint I have about these interviews is that the interviewers invariably feel the need to spend the first 5-10 minutes talking generally about their firm. The problem is that anyone who's done their research (for example, umm, me) already knows all the basics. Let's just start with the discussion, rather than with a lecture overview.

SP did it right. We sat down, talked about my summer employment, and then got right into back-and-forth discussion about the firm's culture, expectations, technology, etc. Thank you, SP.

If SP offers me a callback, I'll accept on the spot. It really seems like a fantastic place to work. Pleeeeeeeeease call me back. I'll even bring homemade cookies if they want!

Tomorrow: 2 more interviews. Good times.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home