/* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Away From Home

Monday, August 22, 2005

GC Interview Recap

So my first interview was this morning.

(For some reason, typing that gave me the mental image of a "law school book" -- kinda like a baby book, only instead of having little stickers that say "Baby's First Steps" and "Baby's First Word," this one had "Baby's First FIP Interview." Apparently I need more sleep.)

As I anticipated, I got little sleep last night. What I didn't anticipate was last night's midnight discovery -- that this firm (let's call them GC) used to have a telecom practice, but it seems to have been purged several months ago. Their big emphasis is on health and pharma law.

Hmm.

Which is not to say that's a bad thing -- it just isn't what I expected when I tossed a resume their way. Anyway, I retooled my sale toward the corporate side, and went to the interview.

FIP is held at a luxury hotel downtown. Each firm gets a suite, and the interviews are in there. You're supposed to go, check in, and then go up to the room and knock at the interview time. I was doing great at this point -- I was relaxed, calm, and knew everything I wanted to say.

Then I knocked on the door, and something inside of me finally woke up and realized Wait, this is actually happening! Gah! I tried to relax and just focus on the things I want to say, but I couldn't remember them anymore!

By the time I got inside the room, it was alright. I didn't say anything too stupid, didn't say "like" (although I did slip a couple "you knows" in, sigh), and didn't seem too boring.

When it comes down to it, the process is just arbitrary. All objectivity is gone from here on out; now it's just who likes you and who doesn't. Therefore, it's impossible to tell how I did.

If I had to guess though, I'd estimate my callback chances at 35%.

1 Comments:

  • "Scott's first interview"

    hmmm.... maybe you should cut a lock of hair and tape it to your used questions list or have your pen bronzed to remember it by.

    :P

    By Blogger Logan C. Adams, at 8/22/2005 10:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home