/* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Away From Home

Friday, July 29, 2005

I need a siesta

Last night I went with one of my housemates and a couple friends of mine to see Thievery Corporation live. It was at the 9:30 club, which is up by the U Street metro, on the Green line. I know there are a lot of stereotypes about the Green line, including many perpetuated by yours truly, and I was really hoping that this area would prove me wrong.

It didn't.

Now, it wasn't all that bad. It's not like the streets featured open warfare. It was just rather dreary, a little dirty, and some shops had boards on the windows.

We walked over to the 9:30, which looked on the outside like an old schoolhouse gym. You small-town Kansans know what I'm talking about. Inside though, it's well designed. The floor space is about 50'x75', with the stage at a short end. The entire floor was open (and for good reason, as we shall shortly see). Above that is a balcony, stretching around 3 walls (not over the stage, obviously).

A little about the show. These tickets went on sale 3-4 weeks ago. I saw a mention of it in the Express, and thought it'd be fun, so I talked with some friends and got tickets the day they went on sale. So did everyone else, apparently -- the show sold out in one day. So they added a second night -- and it sold out in a day. So they added a third night -- and it sold out too.

Thievery Corporation is way more popular than I had realized, especially around here, since they're from DC.

We took up places on the balcony, along the front rail. Quite a good vantage point. The show started with the two guys (Eric and Rob) that are Thievery Corporation by themselves on stage, mixing a short intro song.

Then the rest of the musicians joined them. It was quite a lineup:

Traditional drum set
Hand drum set
Bass guitar
Acoustic/electric guitar and sitar
Saxophone
Trumpet
Flute
Vocalists

All arranged around Rob and Eric, who manned the mixing and sampling decks. All told, a total of 17 musicians appeared on stage. 17!

By the start of the show, the place was completely full. Not cramped, just full. Full enough that as I looked down from the balcony, all I saw were heads and shoulders.

The set itself was very good, no thanks to the sound man. I'm not sure if they had their own sound man or if the venue supplied him, but it was mixed pretty poorly. The bass completely dominated (bass as in guitar, not bass as in clef), drowning out most of the mids and much of the highs. Regardless, it was still a good show. Good enough that we purposely missed the last Metro, in order to stay until the end.

And I think I have most of my hearing back by now. W00!

5 Comments:

  • I just scored half-price tickets for Monday Night Football when the Chiefs come to town.
    Base price for nosebleed tickets? $17.50.
    Total cost with Ticketmaster fees, etc.? $32.30
    Still, not bad, especially considering that all my rowdy friends will be coming over that night.

    And no, I don't expect anyone other than Logan to get the HW Jr. reference, but kudos if you did and you're not Logan.

    By Blogger ChrisHarrop, at 7/29/2005 03:59:00 PM  

  • Aw Crap, I did get that reference. I feel singled out, and I get no kudos. That's not fair.

    Wait, how would I be the only one that knows what Monday Night Football is?

    By Blogger Logan C. Adams, at 7/29/2005 05:21:00 PM  

  • Don't worry, you're not.

    By Blogger Scott, at 7/29/2005 05:32:00 PM  

  • I didn't mean to insinuate you're the only one to know what Monday Night Football is... I did expect you to be the only one to know the lyric from Hank Williams Jr.

    But I suppose that's a silly thing to suppose, as anyone who knows what Monday Night Football is (and there are many of such people) would probably have some peripheral knowledge of Hank Williams Jr.

    Forgive me. I've checked out for the weekend.

    By Blogger ChrisHarrop, at 7/29/2005 08:40:00 PM  

  • Liked this post -- nice report.

    By Blogger KOB, at 8/01/2005 08:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home