/* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Away From Home

Monday, June 20, 2005

More on Crash

I'm posting more about "Crash," mostly because I feel like it, and well, that's about it.

First off, read the Ebert review. It gives away some of the scenes without giving away the movie. It'll give you some sense of what I'm talking about.

This movie is unique in that two days after seeing it, I'm still thinking about it. When's the last time you could say that about a movie?

Many movies like to push the envelope just because they can. This movie actually accomplishes something with its offensive parts. It accomplishes this: It makes you think "Wow, there really are people out there that think like that."

(Don't tell me "Those aren't real people, it's just a movie." Of course I realize that.) The believability of the characters brings it home in a way that most movies could only hope for. I guarantee that not a single one of you could see this movie, and then honestly say that the characters were not representative of real, living people.

One of the very effective aims of this movie is to illustrate and remind the audience of just how hurtful people can be, simply through the preconceptions they form and harbor about people they don't know and have never met. The movie then follows the interactions of those characters, powerfully demonstrating how their preconceptions ended up affecting their lives and causing some fairly major problems -- even getting one person killed.

Which brings me to my larger point. It's easy to say "Don't be prejudiced. Get to know everyone individually." But the fact of the matter is that everyone has prejudices, in some way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home