/* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Away From Home

Sunday, May 01, 2005

On irritating people

Quite possibly the thing I dislike the most about living in the city is the beggars. I was sitting there at Dunkin Donuts, knee-deep in Erie, and this guy that smelled awful tried to interrupt me to give him money.

So I ignored him.

I have nothing against homeless people. I, however, do have a problem with lazy people. Unfortunately, the group "lazy people" seems to overlap with the vast majority of the group "homeless people."

Let me give you an example. A friend of mine went to undergrad at Florida. Apparently Gainesville has a lot of homeless people (who knew). For four years, whenever a beggar would ask him for money, he'd tell them that he'd pay them $10 to wash his car. He even offered to provide the soap, buckets, and sponges. Number of times he got his car washed: 0.

I have no problem with giving money to people who perform some service for me. Even just playing an instrument outside the Metro stop counts -- it brightens my day just a little. But interrupting my reading does not count. I simply cannot believe that there is no way for these people to earn money. This is freakin' America, for cryin' out loud.

I'm similarly frustrated with overly loud high school students. There was a whole group of them at Dunkin too. All sitting at the same set of tables; all trying to be louder than the rest. And all talking about drinking, doing drugs, and getting in fights. As if pillaging your body and breaking the law is something to be PROUD of.

I really really hope that I was not so wantonly inconsiderate when I was in high school. Somebody tell me if I was, so I can jump out the window in shame and penance.

Maybe if I don't leave my room tomorrow, I won't have to deal with people.

2 Comments:

  • *Blinks*

    Goodness, Scott, you almost sounded like a Republican there. Almost.

    By Blogger Logan C. Adams, at 5/01/2005 01:31:00 PM  

  • You probly were at some point, Scoot. Actually, you probly weren't. You were one of those kids that never did anything wrong at all, and never got in trouble, and was the teacher's pet. I'd almost bet on it.

    But I seriously agree with your point about the homeless people and the teenagers.

    Hugs and love!

    By Blogger Mela, at 5/01/2005 10:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home