/* ---- overrides for post page ---- */ .post { padding: 0; border: none; }

Away From Home

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

First Day

So, I showed up for work about 15 minutes late. I used the side door, that way the boss wouldn't see me. After that I just sorta spaced out for a while. I just stared at my desk -- but it looked like I was working. I did that for a couple hours after lunch too. I'd say that this week, I only really plan on doing about 15 minutes of actual... work.

(And if you didn't get the above joke, I feel sorry for you. You're only missing out on one of the funniest movies ever to grace the 50" HD widescreen that is, sadly, not in my living room. But rest assured that if it were, it would be well acquainted with this movie.

The first day was good. I'm not sure if this was due to oversight or difficulties, but there was not yet an office for me, so I worked in the conference room. Not a big deal, but I expect to have an office when I return on Thursday.

But what about tomorrow, you may ask? Why are you not going to work? Oh I am, just not downtown. I have to attend a "New Hire Orientation" in Ashburn, VA. For all of you who are not familiar with where that is (or was that redundant?), it's here.

Notice how you can see neither downtown nor my house on that map. If you look closely, you can see the West Virginia border in the upper left. Yes, Ashburn is that far out. I might as well visit Kansas while I'm there -- it's close enough.

Fortunately, there's a bus that goes there. Yes, a bus, in the singular. *sigh*

But as far as the substantive work goes, it was good, I thought. They gave me some background reading in the morning to get me introduced to telecommunications law. All I have to say is that I am glad for my time at Central Mechanical -- I learned what concepts like local loops and bundled services were.

In the afternoon I got an actual project, drafting a response to comments to an FCC rule change. Well, I'll draft on Thursday, today was spent going through the comments and brainstorming. Really interesting stuff, the day flew.

If you ever feel like drowning in acronyms, just pick up a book on telecom law. UNEs, PIC, LEC, ILEC, and CLEC are some of the ones I dealt with, just today.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home